Thursday, August 19, 2010

Debs? Wedding? Black tie? Budget?

A few weeks ago my sister sort of set me a challenge, I had to find three outfits suitable for a debs/wedding/black-tie event in my home town on a budget. I actually had so much fun with this challenge but I must have looked so odd walking around with my camera and a notepad in the clothes shops. Oh well! It was all in the name of fashion...

So here are my recession outfits that still make you look a million dollars!




Budget: €100
Money Spent: €84.61

Although it is the end of the summer, keep that beach party vibe going in this sexy and colourful Maxi dress from New Look (or AX). To add a hint of sophistication and make the gown your own create a simple halter neck with some navy ribbon, don’t worry it is easy to do (ask your mam if you can’t, they’re great that way). Gold accessories will create that ever desired glamourous feel and keep it fun with a pair of bright pink stilettos and a matching corsage to go in your flowing tresses. Why not keep the make up simple and sun kissed: eyes should be gold and smokey, try this “Smokey Brun” palette from Rimmel that is guaranteed to make your eyes smoulder.


















Budget: €150
Money Spent: €127.67

The Vintage Look is a style that is popping up everywhere lately and is a great way to be experimental with your look, not only with clothes but also with make up and hair. So channel your inner Bette Davis in this stunning red number from River Island, its figure hugging material will show case your feminine curves gloriously. Team it with a black clutch, satin heels and, if you fancy, a feather fascinator to keep that glamourous vintage feeling alive. Sparkling jewels will scream 1940s Hollywood starlet, perfect for when the cameras are flashing on the red carpet. When doing your make up keep your eyes relatively neutral with just a lashing of mascara, let the red lipstick be the statement. Finally, if your brave enough, style victory rolls into your hair, just think Dita Von Teese; Youtube has plenty of tutorials to achieve this style at home.

















Budget: €200
Money Spent: €196.85

This style is meant to make you feels like a million dollars, with satin, rich colours and sparkling jewels. A shorter cut dress is perfectly acceptable for the Debs, especially if it is exceptionally fancy like this one from Alana (Dublin St.) The elegance of these turquoise heels are in keeping with the skirt of the dress and the satin finish ties with the luxurious tone of the outfit. Accessorize with some bold statement pieces of jewellery, sophisticated bling can ensure that you sparkle. Continue this theme with this peach/gold tone chainmail bag that is sure to catch the light. Finish off this sexy look by enhancing your eyes with some volumous mascara.

Even though this challenge restricted me to Carlow it is possible to get these items either in your home town or even on the net. What surprised me the most was how hard it was to actually reach my budget target (they're are more bargains out there than we think!). 

So here it is: proof that you can be the Bell of the Ball without burning a hole in your pocket! I am quite proud of myself (don't judge me).

1 comment:

  1. I really like the second one!

    I also think the debs should be held a couple of years after school ends....I hadn't a clue how to dress when I left school, so I looked a mess, as did most of the girls there! It'd be so much better if I went now....dressing up is way more fun now!

    ReplyDelete