Monday, May 16, 2011

That elusive signature style...



I read an article recently in The Sunday Times Style magazine about Gwyneth Paltrow and the fact that she apparently cannot make up her mind about what style she wants to wear. Now I could understand this if she was "mixing genres" or the likes but they were too different outfits from two different events: a book launch and some red carpet deal-io. To highten my confusion I thought the outfits were quite similar. Now one was jeans and a sweater and one was a dress but both outfits were (in my opinion) minimalistic, fitted and sophisticated with muted tones. As far as I was concerned they were the same style, just different variations.

But thats beyond the point... If she wanted to wear two vastly different outfits isn't that her perogitive? If it is acceptable and she is working it let her be. Why does she need to choose?!? I mean, to me, fashion is one of those realms that allows you to be completely expressive and experimental and to just have fun.

I always thought style was your ability to create outfits that are more than just fashionable, that just work. Not a certain look you have created. Am I wrong? I do agree that each persons look should be individual to themselves, almost like their handwriting. But doesn't everyone mess around with their handwriting, seeing what looks nicer, what flows better. I know I have. I think people should have a certain style but that they are not restricted to one look, that they can experiment with new trends, adapt their look and add to their style.

The thing is that I also read somewhere that when it comes to fashion, your twenties is the time for experimenting. Do you agree? I agree in the sense that by the time you hit thirty you probably should know what suits you, your shape and all that jazz. But when it comes to experimenting with new trends and different looks is that only allowed for the people under thirty? That seems so bizarre. Most of the women we see as icons were more stylish post thirty, or is that because they are no longer experimenting?

It is a topic that has been bothering me for sometime, especially considering my "look" changes nearly everyday. I always joke and say my style is schizophrenic or a "playa". I couldn't choose just one look and run with it. I love so many and I enjoy playing around with them. But other times I feel I should cop on and grow up and work on one look and perfect it or something. You see some people working one look so well and they become known for it and others that are just stylish no matter what look they are working.

What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 18, 2011

    I read that too and well sometimes I feel like magazine writers must have been very stuck for material when they pick on celebs like that..yesterday morning I was dressed like a kitsch shoolgirl, last night like a very sleek, I'm praying that style mag didnt notice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you there,I couldn't define my style to just one type, wouln't want to either,where's the fun in that!? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I believe that most of the experiments should be done before you reach 30, because in reality, once you get to that age, you know pretty much who you are and what you like. Talking of stylish women out there... They never change their style completely. They add interesting things and update the look with accessories, shoes and bags, but they never ever change the style. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blau- I am the same, I look different everyday!

    Missy-I believe I should have a certain look and what not but play around with and have a broad spectrum that can take in certain trends.

    Little Rus- You are right about icons such as Audrey Hepburn that have a basic style that they keep to but I still believe they like to have fun and try new things and push boundaries of their style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think even though you may not realize it, there's still somewhat of a "style" most people gravitate toward.
    A lot of style experts suggest picking a signature look like how Samantha in SATC always wears big accessories or Carrie has a shoe obsession but IRL, style often just comes naturally. And like the other poster said by the time you're 30, you'll have a good idea of what you like, what works and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ * ♥ * ~

    Great post Rhona!

    I think style is partly attitude as well as the actual clothes you wear. I think that's how people get known for their 'style' ~ they may not always wear the same kind of clothes, but they have a certain thought process in the way they dress and that's what comes across.

    It's probably more stable when you reach your 30's but that doesn't mean that if you are over 30 you can't experiment!

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete