Monday, March 4, 2013

becoming effortless...

I have noticed lately, for possibly the first time in my life, that I don't hate what I wear... I think I might need to explain this. Before all this, before I really figured out and accepted what suited me and what didn't and before I got a true sense of what is 'me' in terms of fashion, I dabbled in a lot of trends and styles. I liked them all but didn't know if they worked on me. Sometimes it was too fussy, sometimes too plain, sometimes unflattering. Sometimes I looked great but was highly inappropriate for what i'd be doing. This process of style experimentation takes up time and you find yourself staring at your wardrobe with 'nothing to wear'. At least that's what happened to me. But it's what everybody does at one point or another in their lives... It's how you find out who you are and how you express that through your clothes.

I like to think I have figured out who I am (at this point of my life anyway) and I have fallen (thankfully) into a style that makes me feel comfortable and depicts me all at the same time. This has made getting dressed on a daily basis much easier AND I actually feel good in what I wear most days. In my own head I have reached that 'effortless look' that we all strive for. I doubt to others it looks that way but it's how I feel inside (and on the outside too). It takes me less than ten minutes to figure out what to wear and then get dressed in the morning and still look decent for the whole day. Too me, that is effortless. That's the goal. To be happy in what you wear, look your best and spend less time in trying to achieve these aims. This is a big deal since I leave for work at ten to seven most days.

I don't fully understand how it has happened, it only really occurred to me last week. Lately, I have been buying things I think would flatter rather than things that are really on-trend. And I genuinely believe that plays a role in all this. That and knowing what colours I like and knowing what I want my clothes to say. Don't get me wrong I love trends and keeping up with them but I think you have to know how to make them work for you. Which is a whole other skill in itself and one I am learning as I go along.

So in short, I just wanted to tell you that I'm happy in what I wear. Finally...

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I always feel like I must be the only one who, much as I love fashion, feels so uncomfortable and unhappy with so many outfits. I'm happy for you xo

    Bróx

    http://glamourandgrungefashion.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete