Tuesday, July 27, 2010

You are so spoilt...



I decided to write this post after my mother this morning decided she wanted to buy me a bikini for when I go to the beach, it cost her €52! Which is loads, I told her this and that I had a perfectly good bathing suit but she replies that she wants me to enjoy being young while I can and have things that she was never allowed to. It still felt like an obscene amount of money so I offered to sand the decking furniture as repayment which she accepted.


Anyway, the whole thing got me thinking about money and being spoilt. I am 20, full time student who could not find a job this summer, so I make withdrawals from the mammy and daddy bank. I have only had one part time job (for a very short while, it was Christmas work) so I have been living off the parents my whole life... And it was fine when I was younger, when I didn't know any better but as I grew I have become more aware of my parents spending and their obligations (mortgages, college fees, bills etc) and it makes me feel terrible that I have to ask for money for the cinema, going out and so on.

I love to get things! Who doesn't??? But I feel sometimes that too much money is spent on me (only sometimes) and when my mother offers to buy me something I have this inner battle with what I want and what I think I should do... I suppose it is a good thing I feel this way, if I felt perfectly fine and thought I deserved that new bikini I would be a spoilt person and I would need a serious talking to...

I do not think that getting things off your parents makes you spoilt, I do not think that not having a job at 20 makes you a bum but unfortunately it doesn't stop feeling like I am sometimes...

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling love.
    I'm determined to pay them back in love though!

    ReplyDelete