Saturday, June 9, 2012

suit up...


Now I know Gucci had some absolutely gorgeous 1920s style dresses for their summer collection but I have to say I was more captivated by their suits. They are so sleek, so sexy, so refined... so interesting. The use of monochrome with hints of gold and green are so grown up yet still playful. It has really changed my mind.

I grew up hating suits because I used to see the everyday working women wear them and I could see how uncomfortable they were in them. The suits made them look more masculine and dowdy. And this was back when I was in my young teens. I vowed never to wear them! But I think the working women have changed their perspective on the suit and other office wear and recently I've noticed the high street have brought out some amazing separates that are perfect for the new working women! These women go from the office straight out for cocktails and still look fierce...

You can tell that I am slightly obsessed with looking professional now that I am no longer a student...


A blazer (in my humble opinion) makes anything dressy and sophisticated. I'm not suggesting that I would go to work in jeans but I imagine no one would mind if I wore them with one of these babies! And there really is one for everyone... I don't have enough blazers. Really, I have my boyfriend one which I LIVE in and then my super fancy velvet one. If I am to become a seriously successful designer then I am gonna need some cracking blazers. I'll start with that white one thanks!


I firmly believe that paired with the right items any piece of clothing can be worn during the day. And I think the best place to start trying this out is in the top department. A loose casual silk top can make a suit feel more fresh while a bit of sparkle can really make a statement under a plain black two piece. For me it's all about experimenting with textures and shapes rather than colour. When you think about it the top is the piece that gets the least amount of exposure so I think it's perfect to show off your personality.

Now trousers are something that I love but never think to spend money on them. I just get carried
away with dresses and skirts and forget completely about the more practical option. But practical doesn't mean any less fun, as I have learned from trawling through the web. Trousers seem to be a great way to add style to a piece without being too offensive or overdressed. Whenever I get a job I think I'll be investing in a few pairs. Teamed with heels and a loose silk top it will look professional but still comfortable.



Shoes are very fun and there is no reason why work shoes should be any different (unless you have a seriously important job like nurse/doctor/builder where correct footwear is a must). Heels are the one thing I do not need to invest in now that I am meant to be a "professional", but I'll probably still buy some. But my ideal work shoe would have a mid heel so that I am not teetering about the place and will still show off my personality, still ooze whatever the hell those Gucci ladies are oozing...

So there you have it... My work wear lust list! I think I am ready to embrace the world of the suit. But in my own way. No need to become too corporate. Now I just need to find a job and I'm sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment